About Juliette

The journey of a 2 year old dealing with speech and other developmental delays.

Monday, October 25, 2010

Emotions Running High

Its been a while since my last post but things have been busy in the Marriott household. We have Fred's 20 year old son now living with us permanently. Its an adjustment so I really hope he enjoys this time with us and hope that this change will be a positive experience for him. He needs it.

Juliette has improved leaps and bounds in speech. She is saying so much these days..."down slide" when we are at the park, "go outside" when she's bored with her toys and wants to go out and play, "need medicine" when she gets a coco, "bye bye pee pee" when she hears a toilet flush. Its amazing how much she knows.

Last week I toured 2 different preschools for Juliette. I decided I want to put her in a part time program, 2 days a week MAX with half days preferably from 8am-12pm. Unfortunately there's not a lot of options like this in the area. For most preschools in the area, part time is considered 2 or 3 days a week from 8-6pm (a full day). This is NOT what I want. Sorry Tutor Time! I keep thinking Juliette is only 2 years old, whats the rush? For me I believe this is a nice balance between getting her accustomed to structure in a classroom & socialization and spending time at home with mum. The way I see it, she will be 3 before I know it, then 4, then 5 and she's off to Kindergarten all day. So why pre school full day so soon? I don't see the need to rush. She's getting everything she needs and then some. How many 2 year olds do you know that can already count to 10, knows most of their ABCs, and knows all of the basic shapes including octagon and pentagon?

The first school I toured was a recommendation from Juliette's developmental therapist, Apple Creek Private Preschool. First impressions wasn't the greatest but I've seen high recommendations from reviews on the web and the therapist had nothing but great things to say about them. They have low teacher/child ratio, 12 kiddos per class with 2 teachers, plus they had exactly what I was looking for in regards to their 2 year old program. The second school, Carpe Diem, had exceptional reviews as far as I could tell from my research and the facility was incredible, with web cams for the parents to check in on their kiddos throughout the day, whenever they please, however, they only offered the full day 2-3 days weekly program. I found out real quick that the Apple Creek Private Preschool is the popular choice for parents around here most likely due to their part time/half day program option. There was a waiting list to get in and entry is done by lottery during their registration period. UGH! Then to my surprise the following week I get a phone call from Apple Creek and they have 1 open spot available. YAY! So Juliette starts November 2nd. Emotions are running high. I know this will be good for her but Not EVERY child is the same just as not EVERY 2 year old is ready for pre school. Only time will tell. It'll be interesting to see how she does. It'll also be interesting to see how Mom does ;)


No comments:

Post a Comment